MAC Satin Lipstick In Retro - Review
|MAC Satin Lipstick in Retro|
Color (as described by MAC): Muted peachy pink brown
Price: Rs. 990/-
Finish: Satin (Colour-rich. Soft satin, semi-matte finish. Conditions while adding intense colour.)
What I love about this lipstick:
1. Bobbi Brown once said “Every woman should have a shade you can wear anytime you want to look polished.” Or something to that effect.
This lipstick is that shade for me. It instantly brightens my face, makes my eyes look more greener. It is a shade I can wear all by itself on a bare face and not feel the need for anything else. It goes with all my outfits and looks appropriate enough for office with bare eyes and as a tint with smoky eyes at the club.
|MAC Satin Lipstick in Retro - Swatch|
2. I know MAC says this is peach + pink + brown, and I have seen hints of all three at different times, to be this overall is a brown + red. If any of you have seen BBC’s version of Pride & Prejudice (yup, the one with the Colin Firth emerging from the lake in a wet shirt!), I have always wondered about the lipstick used on Lizzy – I know it is a lip color, but at the same time it looks so natural – the kind of color you would expect a English Rose to sport. This lipstick is the closest I have come to that shade.
3. It has a Satin finish. It is quite creamy and smooth, it doesn’t have any obnoxious shimmer. It applies smoothly and I get a good 5-7 hours of wear from this when used with MAC Lip Prep + Prime. It leaves a heavy tint / stain behind so you never have to worry about being bare faced with this. Also it doesn't have that weird slippery creamy finish or texture like the Amplified Creme finish has. This baby goes down smooth and has never dried out my lips. I like the matt finish this has.
4. It is pigmented enough to cover all lip pigmentation in a single swipe. All the swatches here are single swipes.
5. It is a part of the permanent line, smells of Vanilla and in MAC you can try lipsticks before you purchase them.
What I didn’t like:
|MAC Satin Lipstick in Retro - Swatch|
1. There is nothing I don’t love about this lipstick. I adore everything – the color, the formula! But if you are a lot duskier than me (I’m around NW 20-23), then I’m not sure how this will look on you. My hunch says this is a universal color and may look good on a lot of skin colors, but still, try it before you purchase.
Recommended: Yes! It is a gorgeous color! I love it to bits.
Unless you are one of those girls who like only bright shades, you will love this too! It is also a good option for those girls who want to try out reds, but aren't ready for bright reds, this is a very soft muted way to sport red lips, plus the shade is very versatile & looks good with most clothes & eye makeups.
This is definitely a universal color! I love this lipstick so much. First My Mum picked it up, when I saw it on her, I went back to pick it up for myself and then I went back again to pick it up for my Giveaway. It is definitely one of the most underrated MAC shades. I know all the Indian girls love Cosmo but I would pick Retro any day over Cosmo!!ReplyDelete
I agree totally! Cosmo is way overrated.. I got it after all the hype & sorry to say I don't like the texture or the color at all. But this one is a winner all the way. It is just so damn beautiful! Even I wld gladly take this over Cosmo.Delete
very pretty shade ..ReplyDelete
It is!! I'm glad you agree :)Delete
such an universal shAde .. i can imagine how pretty this color will look on you :)ReplyDelete
I do feel it will look pretty on you as well Palak! :)Delete
Man! u r SOOOO tempting me t get dis...first Hot Tahiti n now dis...which one wud u recco to buy first?ReplyDelete
Aaaarghhh! Between Retro & Hot Tahiti? That's like asking me to choose between Paris & Milan for a holiday! :D hahahahaha!Delete
Ok, if I had to, had to, absolutely had to choose it wld be Retro. Simply because of its versatality & the fact that it lasts way longer, and coverage is better.
I hope this helps you! But do try out both in the store. :)
what a beautifullll shade it is Tanz :D :D and i can soooo very well imagine how bright and full of life your face would look with this :D :D ... so very true about the color being universally flattering .ReplyDelete
Rashmi! I love this lipstick!! It is simply amazing :)Delete
This is a must have for me..i can wear it anyday..nice pick Tanveer..:)ReplyDelete
Same here Preetha! I love it too! :DDelete
Lovely shade! I thought retro was a totally red shade! I wanna get a MAC lipstick. Which one do u suggest for an NC 42 skin tone? I have a lot of yellow tones on my face, if that hepls u....ReplyDelete
It is red, but a very, very wearable red! I'm not sure what color you are looking for exactly, but you cld try Brick-o-la, Twig, Retro, Viva Glam III, Plumful, Mocha or else Rebel. I hope this helps you!! :DDelete
Really? Thanks a lot! I will make note of all the above suggested shades and will try all of them at the stores :) Thanks a lot tanveer!Delete
Wow..too bneautiful. Tanveer, I have always mixed my bright pink and brown lipsticks to achieve such kind of colour. It looks awesome on me too even though i have a pale complexion. I will definitely buy this for my first MAC. I too think that cosmo is way way overrated.ReplyDelete
Really! You mixed shades? I have never done that - that is so awesome!! :DDelete
This shd be a good first purchase from MAC & I hope you will enjoy using it too! :)
This seems like an awesome shade!! I think lipsticks in gen r d most imp make items!!ReplyDelete
I used to mix a Maybelline Lippie copper cadana (It was a mistaken purchase and I don't think it's available anymore) and Maybelline lipsmooth (cranberry). The shade on mixing both was quite similar to Mac Retro. :-)ReplyDelete
Nice shade Tanveer....I will check it out the next time I go to MAC....Thanx for reviewing...ReplyDelete
gorgeous color :))ReplyDelete
Hi Tanveer...I am a great fan of ur blog for a while now:) Though my query is not related to the Mac post , I need the answer like really fast so asking u here...apologies for that.ReplyDelete
I have just bought Lush cosmetic cream warrior for my acne prone skin on advice of the SA. I saw in a older post of urs that u used it daily. Is it ok to use it daily and also was it effective. Does it help in lightening acne scarring? Thanks in advance.:)
Hi Tanveer, I am a great fan of ur blog:) can you please review Lush Cosmetic Cream Warrior soon, I have just bought it and dying to know if it ll work for my acne prone skin with scars!Thanks in advance:)ReplyDelete