I made "Washed Ghee" at home and it turned out great!

Yesterday I posted about the importance of fat in our diet. While doing research for the same I came across the recipe for "Washed Ghee" or Shata Dhaut Ghrita (100 times washed ghee).

After I read about this miracle at home cream, it was inevitable that I would try to create this cream myself. All I needed apparently was some cow ghee & water.

So I made it last evening. And here is how it went.


For those readers who haven't read the earlier post: Hundred times washed ghee is prepared from organic cow milk ghee by washing it in purified water, repeatedly, 100 times in a copper vessel, using a specific prescribed method while chanting some mantras

This procedure transforms the ghee into a soft, cooling, nourishing, silky unguent that is used as a traditional moisturizer and anti wrinkle skin cream. It produces radiant and glowing skin, especially for people with easily inflamed skin. It can be used as a daily face and body moisturizer or for facial massage. Apply it for the hot issues of sunburn, eczema and rosacea.

This how I made it. I mostly followed this site's recipe: 

1. I took 1 & 1/2 teaspoon of cow ghee in a plastic melamine bowl. I think even regular ghee should be fine. I didn't have any copper vessel at home so I ignored this instruction. I forgot to take a picture during this start point.

2. I added equal quantity of drinking water at Room Temperature (basically aquaguard water) and began whipping the ghee with a steel fork. While watching TV. No, I didn't recite any mantras while doing this. You can even use an egg beater or electric whip - This blogger here used an electric whip and it turned out fine.

3. After 5 minutes I would drain out the water and add a fresh amount of water to the ghee and start whipping again. This is what it looked half-way through the process:

Washed Ghee, 30 minutes into the process
4. As you whip you will notice that the ghee changes texture. It begins to expand and changed color from yellow to creamish white. I began with a tablespoon of ghee and by the end, it had expanded to 5 times the original amount. 

5. I didn't wash it 100 times. I must have barely washed it 10 times. In terms of time, I was at it for around 90 minutes.

6. I drained out all the water. You can use a fine sieve as well to do so, though a little bit remains in the cream and transferred it into an empty TBS Body Butter Tub. I suppose this cream should last me around a month. As of now since it is winter I have left it outside at room temperature. It is claimed that this lasts for 4-5 months, but we'll have to see. I'm bit doubtful because of the water content. 

The Final "washed ghee" cream - transferred into a clean Body Butter container for use. 
I used it last night and today morning as well. 

It feels extremely light & cool on the skin. Compared to actual ghee, it is really light and absorbs into the skin within 5 minutes. It really does make the skin feel well moisturised and soft. Another benefit is that is doesn't smell like "ghee" anymore. There is a small whiff, but it is quite faint.

I did my makeup in the morning, after letting the cream absorb for 5 minutes. I really didn't face any problem - it is just like any regular skin cream.

Generally my skin feels a bit dry after spending an entire day in Air-Conditioning, but today it seems to be doing fine. I'm also using this on a leg wound (I cut myself on my left knee quite badly last week. Had to get Tetanus Injection) to see if it helps. 

I'll update after a month of using this on results. 

If you are planning to make this, just keep in mind the following tips: 

1. Use a large container. The water tends to splash around and the ghee also expands up to 4 times its size upon whipping. I had to keep a towel under the bowl as I didn't realise the water would splash around so much!
2. Don't use warm or hot water. 
3. Keep some time apart to do this. I don't think it is possible to wash it 100 times unless you plan to do nothing for a good 5 to 6 hours, but I suspect you will need to whip it for 60 minutes minimum to get results. 

Have you heard or used this "Washed Ghee" for skin care before? Are you planning to make some? Share your experiences!

Comments

  1. Wow the recipe seems to be really easy. Looking forward to your experience. I might try it myself if it works :)
    Nice article :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simran.. Will get some over the weekend for you :)

      Delete
  2. gosh. it turned out sooo messy for me!! the kitchen counter was full of ghee :( and i did it for only 5 times. but it does smell ghee-ish for me. i mixed patchouli and french cypress essential oils in it. will use it and share how it went with me :) will be sharing pictures soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. btw, didn't you feel like you are reverse engineering and turning it into white butter from which ghee is made!! though, it does not really taste like that!

      Delete
    2. It was messy for me too, but primarily coz I didn't expect it to expand so much in volume and I started off with a small bowl. I had to sit with a towel to keep all the water off me. I haven't mixed any essentials oils - but that is a very good idea Swati!

      I also thought it was going to turn into butter with all the churning, but it is not like butter at all in texture & feel. Maybe it is close to it. I read a scientific paper comparing regular ghee & this washed ghee for differences to understand why it is more effective. I understood that it has slightly different chemical properties like lower acidity that probably make it more effective. You can read the paper here: http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/5074/1/IJTK%208(3)%20387-391.pdf

      Delete
  3. I have to try this!!! Seems like the perfect body lotion. Please update on how it changes, how long it lasts and how it works on skin. I might buy an electric whip just for this!!!

    PS - Thanks for the sweet comment you left on Geisha post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know... I've been using for 2 days now & it seems to be holding up well!

      Delete
  4. that's brilliant, Tanveer. I can't wait to try this out. I had bookmarked yesterday's recipe post already. Will definitely be great for the skin than all the chemical-laden creams we get in the market :) aweome. Sorry to hear about the wound. Try applying aloe vera at the edges, the fresh stuff- it heals wounds very fast. but you have to cut the aloe vera and leave it in water for a while before you wash and apply it to your wound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coral! I hope you like it!

      The leg wound was totally unexpected. I would have loved to apply some Aloe Vera, except the damn pigeons killed it. It is a weird phenomenon here in Mumbai. There are just too many pigeons and they kill plants up pulling them out from the roots to build their nests. I have lost a chilly, curry leaf, mint & aloe vera plant to them!!

      Delete
  5. I have been looking for a good moisturizer for my daughter and this is perfect! What do you think will happen if I add essential oil to it to mask the aroma?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does it sound crazy that I read this a few hours back, said I am going to do it and then in the next one hour, I was actually churning the ghee into this luxurious cream! I added lavender essential oil and it smells divine! And thanks to you, I used a bigger bowl and whipped it over the sink... no mess :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! No sweetie, even I'm like that! I love trying out new stuff, and when it is so easy why wait! I hope you like it! :D

      Delete
  7. When I read your previous post, I thought this washed ghee affair would be very difficult as it had such a fancy name and being washed 100 times..all that scared me..plus there is the fact that I expected it was necessary to use a large amount of Ghee for the purpose.
    But seeing as how easy and economic the process is..and how luxurious and effective the results are, I am going to give this a try too.

    I saw a quite similar, but even more luxurious DIY Body butter video on Youtube using Coconut Oil, you should check it out too if you like such DIYs. There are numerous videos for it, but I think the ones by Cloudyapples or the one by Lisa Pullano are the best.

    By the way, thanks for the comments on my blog!
    I am so going to see if I can get my hands on that Maybelline Lipstick you suggested!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cant wait to hear about your experience. This sounds like such a great idea. I actually whip butter all the time when baking to cakes a fluffiness so I can imagine ghee turning into a even nicer cream texture. Please do let us all know about your experience - especially if it broke you out. Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading your post I made it and it turned out fantastic.I apply it to wash my face instead of oil and also as a moisturizer. It never broke me out. Instead it calmed my acne within a day!!My skin never felt better. Looking forward to many more DIY's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey.. Could you update us on ur experience with washed ghee..

    ReplyDelete
  11. hai all, iam unable to separate water from ghee after 2-3 minutes of churning with hand whisk.where am i going wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi
    I also tried to make it. I actually made the ghee myself first using organic, unsalted butter. The ghee turned out very well. My problem is that when i start mixing water to wash the ghee, the water gets completely mixed with the ghee. If i add water again to wash, that too gets mixed with the ghee. can you tell me what i am doing wrong?

    cheers
    Loti

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi
    I also tried to make it. I actually made the ghee myself first using organic, unsalted butter. The ghee turned out very well. My problem is that when i start mixing water to wash the ghee, the water gets completely mixed with the ghee. If i add water again to wash, that too gets mixed with the ghee. can you tell me what i am doing wrong?

    cheers
    Loti

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Loti
    Maybe start off with your ghee at a cooler temp. and your water should be a lower temp too. Monitor what the temp in the room is also.
    All the best
    Deirdre'

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi thanks for your posting . I want to ask a question when I washed 25 times I still can smell like milk, I did not like this how to do , I figure out why you did not smell something like milk when you only washed 10 times, I did not know how to relief this smell .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi thanks for your posting . I want to ask a question when I washed 25 times I still can smell like milk, I did not like this how to do , I figure out why you did not smell something like milk when you only washed 10 times, I did not know how to relief this smell .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi thanks for your posting . I want to ask a question when I washed 25 times I still can smell like milk, I did not like this how to do , I figure out why you did not smell something like milk when you only washed 10 times, I did not know how to relief this smell .

    ReplyDelete
  18. This turned out beautifully! I have a cold kitchen so perhaps that helped..using a kitchen-aid mixer with the whisk attachment did wonders for cutting back on time. I didn't do 25 washings, but it easily took me about an hour to complete the project from plain butter to finished product. I wound up with a lovely white whipped firm textured mass of loveliness. I also added some essential oils, I love smelling like patchouli and cinnamon! It isn't at all greasy and has such a silky light feel, just in love with this! Thanks for sharing this recipe <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I try it and it really works for my face, now I'm so addicted to this cream" my homemade " washed ghee" my skin turned out beautifully that I can't never imagined❤

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thank you for taking the time out to add your valuable comment. I will revert as soon as possible.

COMMENT MODERATION POLICY FOR ADDICTED TO BLUSH BLOG

I delete blatant self-promotion and comments where it is clear the post material was not carefully read. If you are not going to bother to engage with the post, I am not going to bother posting your comment.

I also delete ALL comments with links - even if the link is to your blog.

Don't be mean to other commentators - it serves no purpose other than showcase your own personality in a bad light.

Popular Posts