Sorry, for the long lull in posting. Have been a little caught up in office work. Besides took a mini-break on the weekend, where I got to sample Forest Essentials Products (soap, moisturiser, body wash, shampoo & conditioner). Will be posting on them soon.
Coming back to the topic, this was long overdue. Maybelline has launched its new WhiteStay UV Compact with SPF 18 a while back.
1. One of the few compacts with SPF 18 UV filters, this combines the dual step of sunscreen & foundation. The powder is an alternative to sunscreen. Especially during monsoons & summers when creamy sunscreens make your skin greasy, using a matt compact with SPF protection would is a better option.
2. The compact comes in five shades –White Ivory, Light Ivory, Natural, Nude and fawn – to suit the variety of Indian skin tones. I picked the Light Ivory Shade.
3. Does brighten up your face instantly: This product delivers. It brightens your skin, leaves behind an almost flawless finish and conceals pores quite well too. It does not look cakey making it suitable for day -wear. But know that a little of this goes a long way. Don't apply too much as it can start looking fake very easily.
4. Very good for oily skin: The composition keeps oil away from your face leaving it fresh for the day. The powder has a silky smooth texture which easily blends with the skin giving it a nice glow. It also does not block pores.
5. Economical: at 150 Rs, I think this is a good buy. It is sold with a puff & a mirror inside the pan.
1. Do not use if you have dry skin: This thing is foundation from hell, if you have got dry skin, as it dries out the skin even more & makes the dryness very obvious to one & all.
2. Blending: This thing is difficult to blend if you have applied a moisturiser underneath.
3. The white ivory shade is well, white like talcum powder. I am not sure who it would suit. Besides you need to be very careful when using this product, just a dab too much & your skin starts to look artifically lightened. It needs a lot of buffing with either a foundation brush, a sponge or even the puff you get with this to achieve a natural look.
4. The product claims to have an anti-tanning effect & Vitamin C: I am not too sure about this as Vitamin C is highly unstable molecule. I am not sure how much of it is still active by the time it reaches our skin in this product.
5. Offers meduim coverage. If you have dark acne spots, use a concealor underneath.
6. While it claims to have SPF 18, it does not specify how much powder I need to apply to achieve that protection. While blending it may happen that the compact may be thinner on some parts, thereby resulting in uneven protection.
7. The puff given picks up too much powder, you have to use either a fluffy big foundation brush or use the puff very carefully to lightly pat the powder onto the skin & then blend, blend.
Overall: I don't use foundation everyday, as I somehow feel that the powder settles into my fine lines & pores, making them deeper. But I do carry this in bag for those days when I may have to run for a party or a social engagement right from office. It is small, convinent to carry & can be applied very easily in a jiffy. It delivers an instant glow to the skin while makes me look fresh, even when I am dying to hit the sack at the end of the day.
This is definately not suited to mature/dry skin as the powder I feel will tend to settle into fine lines & wrinkles, besides it empahsises dryiness.
Trivia: Maybelline has also come up with a cool application called Maybelline Glow – www.whitestayuvzone.com/index.aspx- that allows you to brighten all your pictures instantly, just as the compactacts as an instant pick-me-up for your face. So no more dark and dull pictures on you on Facebook.