Image via Wikipedia
In fact she carries a bottle of honey with her everywhere to take care of all her skin care needs. Besides looking really hot, Padmalakshi has really great skin, so much so, that it is said that she never needs any concealor because her skin is so perfect and flawless.
Throughout the centuries, legendary beauties have used honey as part of their skin and hair care treatments. Cleopatra was famous for her milk and honey baths, and Poppea, wife of Roman Emperor Nero, used a honey and milk lotion on her face to keep her looking youthful.
I didn’t need any further encouragement. I have been using honey myself for the last few months and it has not only made my skin very soft, it has also made it smoother and helped remove the tan I got on my arms from my trip to Goa.
What makes honey so good?
Secondly it is a humectants – means it attracts and helps retain water in the skin
Third – it has alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) that help remove dead cells and hydrate the skin
Fourth - honey has significant natural antioxidant properties (contains antioxidants such as chrysin, pinobanksin, vitamin C, catalase, and pinocembrin.) Antioxidants play a role in protecting the skin from the damage of UV rays and in aiding in skin rejuvenation.
Fifth – honey is a very effective anti-microbial as it is low in water, acidic in nature (pH 3.2 to 4.5, healthy skin has pH of 5.5) has small quantities of hydrogen peroxide that kills organisms amogst other anti-bacterial components.
Honey is very easy to use, by itself or added to home make face packs to boost their nourishing capabilities.
Below are some DIY tips with Honey
1. Apply honey plain. It will soften skin and moisturize it. Apply evenly and wash off after 20 minutes
2. Mix a spoonful with few drops of lemon juice (or any other citrus juice): very good for skin prone to zits. The lemon boosts the antibacterial capabilities, and is a good source of Vitamin C as well as citric acid (AHAs)
3. For the body: Add 4-5 spoonfuls to about 3-4 mugs of water and use as final rinse for dry skin
4. Mix equal amounts with milk to make a face pack. Use skimmed milk for oily & combination skin, and whole fat for dry skin
5. Oily skin people can mix a spoonful of honey with rosewater to make an oil-free moisturizer. Rinse off after 20 minutes
6. Chapped lips: Mix with milk cream and apply for till absorbed.
7. Chinese women use a paste made from crushed orange seeds and honey for pimples and also to clear their complexions.
8. Out of glycerine, use honey in its place. You can even add a few drops of honey to your regular rose water.
Products that contain Honey
A lot of ayurvedic skin care ranges are made using honey.
Biotique's Morning Nectar lotion contains Honey as does their Tinted Moisturiser Range.
They even have a Honey Water Toner for dry and sensitive skin,
Do you have any special homemade DIY tip with honey?