Choosing a Moisturizer
1. Choosing a moisturizer has a lot to do with personal taste, but more so with skin type and age.
2. You don't need to spend a lot on a facial moisturizer unless you want to. Don’t let prices fool you - ingredients are the best indicator of quality, not price.
• Products slowly lose their efficacy once being opened or being exposed to sunlight.
• Light diffusing or tinted moisturizers are great for low-maintenance daily use in place of foundation since they help even out the skin tone without adding another step to your beauty routine. Try Ponds Tinted Moisturiser (my personal favourite) or Biotique Tinted Moisturiser
All facial moisturizers come labeled for a certain type of skin: regular, dry, oily or combination.
Remember that certain ingredients in one product might be better suited for your skin even if they are labeled for a skin type other than your own.
Dry or Sensitive Skin / Normal Skin
• Ingredients -- Alpha hydroxies, antioxidants, vitamin E, aloe vera, shea butter, sweet almond oil, etc.
• Sun Protection -- When choosing UV protection, get sunblock rather than sunscreen since it contains essential nutrients such as zinc and titanium, which are especially helpful for those with sensitive, dry skin.
• Products to try
o For day: Biotique Tinted Moistuiser (with SPF 30), Aromamagic Almond Moisturising Lotion, Khadi Rose & Aloe Vera Moisturising Cream, Biotique Morning Nectar (one of my favourite day time lotions)
o For night: Ponds Cold Cream, Jergens Face Cream, Biotique Wheatgerm Cream
o Extra Moisture: Aromamagic Essential Oil blend for dry skin. (Review coming up - I mix this with a lighter day time lotion to fortify the skin for night), The Body Shop Vit E Serum.
Acne-Prone or Oily Skin
• Oil-free moisturizers and non-comodegenic lotion.
• Ingredients -- Salicylic acid, glycolic acid, retinoids,
• Sun Protection – Try moisturizers that contain SPF to help eliminate an extra (pore-clogging) step in your routine. SPF is also extremely important to use in conjunction with acne medications because they usually increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun.
• Products to try
o For day: Neutrogena Oil Free SPF 15, Neutrogena for Combination Skin
o Lightweight: Biotique Chorolophyll Gel
o Economical: Bioglow’s range of moisturisers (It costs Rs. 100 for a 500ml jar - can't get cheaper than this and they are totally shine & oil free)
What is your favourite moisturiser at the moment for your skin type?