What it claims: Neutrogena Ultra sheer dry touch sunblock SPF 50+ (PA +++) is a breakthrough in sun protection.
Stabilized withHelioplex™ Technology it provides superior balanced broad spectrum protection against skin aging UVA and burning UVB rays and combines it with Dry Touch Technology for an ultra light, non shiny finish. This light weight sun block has a light fresh scent and is gentle enough even for sensitive skin. broad spectrum uva - uvb PA+++ (uva protection rating)
• Micronized silica powder absorbs extra sunscreen oils
• Waterproof, sweat-proof, resists rub-off, non-comedogenic
• Light fresh scent, oil-free, PABA-free
How and When To Use It:
Apply liberally on face and body 15 - 30 minutes before sun exposure. For added protection, reapply after swimming, excessive perspiration, towel drying or extended sun exposure.
Warning: For external use only.
Use before 24 months from date of manufacture
Price: Rs. 150 for 30 ml tube
Ingredient list: (not given on the pack - the pack only says contains Iodine):
Active: Avobenzone, Homosalate, Octisalate, Octocrylene, Oxybenzone.
Inactive: Water, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Diethylhexyl 2, 6 - Napthalate, Beeswax, Caprylyl Methicone, Cetyl Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, BHT, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG - 100 Stearate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Acrylates/C12 - 22 Alkylmethacrylate Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Xanthan Gum, Trideceth - 6, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Disodium EDTA, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance.
1. Provides high levels of both UVA (PA +++) and UVB protection due to the patented Helioplex technology: The main challenge in providing effective protection from UVA rays is that traditional chemicals used in sunscreens that absorb UVA light degrade quickly and become ineffective.Helioplex combines two existing sunscreens, avobenzone and oxybenzone, which block UVA and UVB rays. But the avobenzone is in a more stable form, so it doesn't lose its effectiveness with exposure to sunlight. Neutrogena® developed the Helioplex™ technology in 2005. Helioplex® helps protect skin by chemically absorbing harmful UV photos and converting the UV energy to make Avobenzone photostable. This allows sunscreens with Helioplex® to deliver high, broad-spectrum and photostable protection after 5 hours of sun exposure.
2. Is not greasy like other sunscreens I have tried in the past. It absorbs instantly and gives a very dry, smooth finish, but it also did not dry out my skin. It also spreads easily like a lotion, I have had problems with other brand sunblocks in the past and found that they were difficult to spread and required a lot of rubbing in.
3. Despite being a sunblock it does not leave a whitish cast on the face. I prefer sunblocks to sunscreens, simply because I like their method of sun protection of staying as a barrier on the skin instead of getting absorbed. - just a personal preference. Below is a comparison of the two from Wikipedia:
Although some believe that sunblock and sunscreen are both the same, they are not. Although they have similar properties Sunblock is opaque and is stronger than sunscreen since it is able to block majority of the UVA/UVB rays and radiation from the sun, thus not having to be reapplied several times a day. Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide are two of the important ingredients in sunblock.
Sunscreen is more transparent once applied to the skin and also has the ability to protect against UVA/UVB rays as well. Although the sunscreen's ingredients break down at a faster rate once exposed to sunlight, and some of the radiation is able to penetrate to the skin. In order for sunscreen to be more effective you'll have to consistently reapply and use a higher spf
4. Smells ok to me, mild fragrance that dissipates quickly
5. Because it is made with Helioplex technology it is more stable and re-application is needed only once every 4 hours
6. Small tube - easy to carry on the go.
7. Did not cause any breakouts - again a concern for me as sunscreens tend to make me breakout
8. Did not ball up during re-application, it went on smoothly even then, and was absorbed instantly.
1. Apply this to absolutely dry skin or else it will not be absorbed and will leave a whitish cast
2. Does not seem to suit all. Sunscreens/sunblocks tend to highly potent cocktails of chemicals as compared to your average moisturizer - hence it is essential to do a patch test first on the arm if you know you have a tendency to react.
3. Does give a slightly shiny look to the face. It only looks a little shiny, but does not feel oily or greasy
4. I have not tried this under make up or over moisturiser - so frankly I have no idea how it would fare. I don't feel like wearing any make up, frankly, in Mumbai's hot humid summers - I generally just wear sunscreen and a lip balm or lipstick.
5. Tends to stain white collars a very very light yellow. But that comes off with washing.
6. Ingredient listing is not given on the pack - in fact it only says a cryptic contains Iodine.
7. Abroad this product seems to have been discontinued and replaced with SPF 55, in addition to 70+ and 100+ SPF range formulated with the same Helioplex. Sadly we have only a single SPF to choose from.
Will I repurchase: Yes. This is probably the first sunblock/sunscreen I have liked in a long long time - that my skin seemed to like it as well. . I was earlier using Biotique Aloe Vera SPF 75 - but it would make me break into a sweat the moment I would step out of the house and get all washed off - so I stopped using that and relied on make up with SPF for the protection. But hot long summer days call for extra protection and I will be using this.