Friday, May 21, 2010
Nail Polish Tips
As much as I would love to replicate these myself, let me admit that I am a rather clumsy person. I can barely manage to apply a base, simple coat of nail paint without smudging it.
However along the way I have picked up some tips that help me get the best out of my nail paints.
If you are as clumsy and more importantly - impatient as me
1. Find a time when your nails can be dried without anything touching them: I always end up smudging up my nail paint.For some reason, nail paints take inordinately long to dry on my nails. At least upto an hour. And God forbid if during that hour I happen to eat, sleep, open the door et al. It gets spoilt, the gloss is gone. So now I have begun painting my nails,in the night, just before I sit down to check my mails. As I go about harvesting fields and serving pot roast on facebook, my nails get ample 2 hours to dry and the finish is perfectly glossy without any damage.
2. Use a base coat if your nails tend to turn yellow, and a top coat if nail paint chips rather quickly on you. Invest in a good base and top coat to prolong the life on paints on your nail. I use Jordana's Base & Top Coat
3. Use a formula that is slightly thinner: I have noticed that formulas that are slightly thinner (for eg: Jordana) are easier to apply without errors as compared to thicker formulas that tend to take longer to dry and also provide uneven finish.
4. Don't use nail polish remover to thin a nail polish that has dried up: I have tried to revive countless favourite nail paints with a drop or two of remover. It has never worked for me. For a short while the paint is liquefied, but the quality and finish is always weird and in fact this totally renders that nail paint unfit for future use. Some people recommend using a thinner, but I haven't been able to locate one as yet
5. Lighter shimmery and sparkly colors are kinder on errors and clumsy application: as compared to darker shades. This is because lighter colors, especially those with shimmer tend to reflect light and tend to look more flawless as compared to dark matt or glossy shades which tend to show up every flaw. So when in a hurry I tend to use shimmery shades
My Favorite Nail Paints
1. Maybelline Artistic in Glitter: A transparent nail paint with a ton of silver shimmer. Great by itself and on top of other paints to amp up the glamour
2. Maybelline Dusty Rose: a semi glossy muted rose shade
3. Jordana Base & Top Coat: Dual purpose coat that does not yellow
4. Jordana Salon Formula in Tender Coral: A cool, blue toned reddish coral. Deep & intense with a glossy shine. (The picture above is of Tender Coral)
5. Jordana Salon Formula in Red Hot: Cool toned Red. This is your va-va-vroom red, which makes all hands look super glam.
PS: Jordana nail paints are DBP, Toluene & Formaldehyde Free
What are your favourite tips when painting your nails?