There has been a mad buzz around the Maybelline Color Sensational Range since the day it was launched abroad and India too has been no different. Of course, I am not impervious to all this and *had* to figure out what the fuss was all about.
I picked a lipstick - Tinted Taupe (a shimmery berry brown lip color) and a gloss Plum-tastic (plum berry) to check out the range.
Review - Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick (Tinted Taupe)
1. Very moisturising. It just glides on the lips like a balm, and it is totally weightless. Lips feel soft and smooth for hours on end
2. Highly pigmented, despite being sheer (the one I got was sheer). The color payoff was good and the tint lasted for a good 5-6 hours.
3. Shimmer is very fine and does not feel gritty at all.
4. Price is economical. Rs. 299 a tube.
1. The smell. I know lots of people love it, but I just can't stand the toffee smell. I am allergic to it and burst into a bout of sneezes every time I use this lipstick. I find the smell too intense, too overpowering and too long-lasting.
2. The packaging. Again a lot of people like it, but to me it appears too masculine, it kind of reminded me of a cigarette lighter. And over the last few days it has acquired some scratches on its surface.
Will I purchase the lipstick again: No.
Because I am unable to use the lipstick because of the smell. I personally prefer Revlon Colorstay to these. Even though Maybelline has far more shades, I didn't like most of them. I felt like Revlon had lesser range but more wearable shades, the color pay off is much more intense, the lipstick feels very light on the lips plus the packaging is also far better.
Maybelline Color Sensational Lip Gloss (Plum-tastic) Review
2. The lasting power. These lip glosses last longer than any other lipgloss I own, and even when they wear off they leave behind a very even lip tint that lasts a good 8 hours on me through eating. This lip gloss takes care of the one gripe I have with glosses in general - the lasting power
3. The smell though similar to the lipstick, is quite faint and tends to dissipate within a minute. Also there is no bad taste to this thing
4. The gloss is very pigmented. Even a sheer thin layer is true to the color of the gloss. I feel that this is a good replacement for Lakme's Aquashine. It has the shine, staying power, is cheaper and is intensely pigmented.
5. Price is good at 250 for a tube.
6. This is not very sticky as a lip gloss. However I do experince a slight cooling / tingling sensation when I use these. Not that it bothers me a lot, but I am just curious to know if that happens to others too, and why that happens.
1. The packaging. The tube is a plain clear glass tube with no logo, no shade name. Nothing. At the bottom of the tube is a tiny sticker which has the shade name in very small lettering. I guess they skimped on the packaging to keep the cost low.
Will I re-purchase: Already have.
In addition to Plum-tastic, I got Sugared Honey (Peachy brown with shimmer), Wine all Mine (deep purple burgundy tones & multicolor shimmer) and Touch of Toffee (light brown with silver shimmer). All 4 are amazing and I plan to get some more colors next month.
Color Sensational Lipstick vs Lip Gloss:
I so much prefer the lip glosses in this range to the lipsticks. They have amazing colors, very long lasting & moisturising at the same time. Of course, this could be as I instinctively prefer lip glosses in general to lipsticks.