The female self torture technique - I epilate.
Let me state this upfront, the model I have is more than 10 years old (Yup, this has a very long life). At that time only 2 versions were available in India - Regular & Sensitive (had two attachments, one for arms/legs, other for more sensitive areas). My mom had bought the regular one for some 2000 bucks. She used it for around 7 years after which she gave it to me. I have been using this since the last 3 years. The box is no longer with me so I don't know the model number.
These days I you have a huge variety in Braun. (You can check them out here) I had initially decided against doing this review because the model I am reviewing is not even available any more (it's so old I can't even find any images of it online), but some readers have been requesting for it.
1. It combines the best benefits of both waxing and shaving. Hair growth is slow just like waxing, you won't see new hair for upto 4 weeks, and like shaving it is hassle free. No hot wax, or strips.
2. It has a very, very long life. As long as you follow the cleaning instructions, this will last a long time. It is very sturdy.
3. They provide a padded pouch with the product and the epilator, its adaptor and cleaning brushes all fit snugly into it. Makes it very travel friendly. It works on electricity and not battery.
4. Quick and convenient: It takes me like 10 minutes to do my entire arms & legs, plus I can use this at home as per my convenience. No appointments and waiting at the parlour.
1. If you haven't waxed in a long time (say 2 weeks), and the hair length has grown it will be very painful. It is best used on small hair (something like hair 2 days after you have shaved.) If you have hair longer, I'd suggest you shave it and then use this between day 2 & 3.
2. If you have sensitive skin this may not be a good option, as it essentially pulls the hair out from the root. It is not a pain free experience. It probably hurts as much as waxing does or even more probably as waxing is one rip & gone, this is, ahem, slower. (I don't really know, as I have never waxed). It is painful initially, but over time I have gotten used to it and it hurts less now. It is a little bit more painful for me on the back of my leg and on bony areas like the knees.
3. My skin does tend to get covered in pink dots (you know what I mean) after I use for 30 minutes. I always use Biotique Chlorophyll gel after using this.
Overall: I quite like this product, it is hassle free, easy to use anytime, and is relatively low maintenance. To be honest, I do have very, very less hair on my arms & legs, and the hair that I do have is very fine. Even If I shave, I stay totally smooth for at least 10 days, sometimes longer.
I use this once a month and the job gets done. It is very economical and fast too. Were anything to happen to this model, I am pretty sure I will get the newer version.
If you have coarse hair / heavy / high density growth, I am not sure how this would work for you. My sister who has more hair issues than me, hates this. She prefers a quick wax job at the parlour to this.
So what's your favourite method of torture?