I need your help on choosing makeup. Its my wedding in the month of December. I am totally new to make up (on myself). My daily makeup routine includes fair n lovely (if time permits) and Vaseline. So you should now have a fair idea about me... Only on those "special" days i use kajal. That's all i do. I have just one shade of lipstick and one lipgloss which were gifts and have never used :-))) So I am looking fwd for ur help.
Mine is an orthodox family. So no beauticians wud be allowed in the wedding ceremony. It will be my sis who wud do the makeup or probably myself as i trust me to do it better... I have done it for a good num of ppl and have pretty decent steady hands. About my skin... Well I have the problem of dark circles all around my eyes.... And hairy face which I have to wax once a week... Though I dont have acne prone skin, the waxing makes my skin have red bumps for a couple of days. I have extreeeeeeeeeeeeeemely oily skin. I am of medium wheatish complexion.
After reading all the posts on your blog for the last few days, I got to know about the existence of skin tone... I am not sure what tone i belong to... But I do feel that my skin has an yellow shade to it... My face is darker than the rest of my body... I need to buy makeup for me from the scratch... and I need ur help... My face oils in just half an hour no matter what i do/use... I was infact made up for a drama... when some make up person did apply foundation... but i ended up looking all cakey and ashy and even more oily and dull... Can you kindly help me buy make up. Considering i need to be sitting in front of fire for half a day... with the light from the video on my face thru out the day... Also another thing is... taking make up off... The time i was made up... when i tuk it all off... my face looked so bad... that i dint knw hw to go for a second round of make up the same day... i mean for my wedding i will have to take it all off... and get ready for a reception in the evening...
I am not aware of this product called primer... and the SA stared at me when i asked for one... and i did not know which brands existed... I am looking for very minimal makeup... which can hide my blemishes and dark circles and make me look fresh... I am not looking for some fancy bridal make up... I need your help to pick out the foundation that would reduce oiliness, compact, eye liner, concealer, kajal (its a must for our weddings... so i need something which does not go all over my face...), mascara (preferably water proof), some light blush so light that it shud luk like i have not used any... Coming from a very traditional family, ppl will frown on me if i look made up even on my wedding day!!!! Also what is primer... and where are they available... my eyes are black, my lips are red.. but upper lip is pigmented... so any lighter shade of lipstick i choose... wont look good/same on my upper lip... Can u suggest some base or something to even out my lip color so that i can use some lighter shade of lipstick too??? Also the most I can afford is Maybelline/Lakme/Revlon/Street Wear... I am not sure I can opt for MAC sort of expensive brands. I am from Bangalore. So kindly let me know my options... Gosh that was a looooooooong post.. I know that my request is too much but I did not know/trust anyone else to help me on my crazy request... Thanks a lot in advance!!!
Ok Anon, first of all congrats on your upcoming wedding!
I’ll deal with all your doubts one by one. While you have asked me advice essentially for makeup, I cannot help but give you some skincare advice as well. Your current routine is very threadbare and if your skin is not at its best, no foundation or concealer will give you that glow that every bride wants to flaunt on her wedding day.
In this post I will deal with your skincare problems. Next post will be on makeup advice.
First of all, I would advice you to get a skincare routine in place. Your current routine is very minimal and it is woefully lacking any protection or repairing products, considering your skin is exposed everyday to UV light & Pollution.
Budget: Ideally, if your budget is limited, I would advice you to spend a bit more on skincare than makeup. A healthy skin looks good, without or with makeup.
One of the best brands for skincare is The Body Shop. Their Vitamin C range as well as the Aloe Vera range is good. If you cannot afford The Body Shop, look at AromaMagic, Biotique, Lotus, Himalaya, Neutrogena, Jovees, Ponds, Fab India to fulfill your needs. Also please get a bottle of Lacto Calamine, it is a boon for all oily skinned girls.
- Cleansing: There are plenty of affordable oil control face washes in the market like those from Ponds, Neutrogena amongst others. Please start cleansing your face twice a day with a good face wash. Cleansing is the most important step in any skin care routine. If not done well, it will cause failure of all the products that follow.
- Exfoliation: Exfoliate your face twice a week. Avoid harsh scrubs. Try Aromamagic Mineral Glow Scrub, Biotique Papaya scrub or else Jovees honey papaya scrub. Exfoliate in the evening, this helps your skin settle down during the night. Exfoliation will remove black & white heads that oily girls are prone to suffer from. If it is possible get a cleanup done at the parlour once a month starting this month, that way you would have had at least 3 cleanups prior to your wedding. If you can't do this, lightly steam your face for 5 minutes before doing exfoliation to increase its efficacy.
- Toner: Ponds has an oil control concentrate. You could start using this to help slow down oil production. Use this after cleansing & before moisturizing in the morning. Or else use a dab of lacto calamine lotion.
- Start using a Sunscreen (minimum spf 15). You will get pretty good sunscreens in affordable brands like Biotique, Himalaya, Lotus, Fab India and even Lakme. If you stay out in the sun for longer than 20 mins everyday, get Neutrogena SPF 50 sunscreen
- Most Moisturizers these days have SPF. If you can afford to I would suggest you use Ponds White Beauty day & night cream or else The Body Shop Aloe Vera Day & Night cream to help even out your skin tone. Or else look at Biotique, Lotus, Fab India clove range for oily skin & Aroma Magic. But you must moisturize at night even if you don’t do it during the day. Your skin repairs itself at night. During the day use Lacto Calamine, this will prevent oiliness.
- Dark Circles: You could try either Ponds Age Miracle Under eye treatment (I have heard rave reviews of it) or else Himalaya under eye cream or aromamagic under eyecream. These will take about 2 weeks but they might be able to lessen the intensity of your discoloration. Use them day & night.
- Facepack: You must do a weekly face pack routine. Either refer to the home remedies given below for easy & cheap options or get face packs from Aromamagic, FabIndia or Biotique.
- Post waxing: To deal with your boils, post waxing immediately wash your face with cold water & use Cold Aloe Vera gel or Biotique Chorophyll gel. If possible look at bleaching or threading as an option for the face, instead of waxing. Both are more hygienic as compared to waxing.
- Diet & Exercise: This is all basic common knowledge. Eat home cooked food that has very less oil & salt. Drink plenty of water. Get some form of exercise everyday – 30 minutes at least. Talk to your doctor about including a simple multivitamin & multi mineral tablet in your routine & drink coconut water everyday.
- Home Remedies: There are a ton of home remedies that you can do to help your skin look its best for the D-Day
- Honey: Apply a mixture of 1 spoonful of honey & few drops lemon juice everyday. This will help soften your skin
- Tomato paste: Crush a small piece of tomato and cucumber and apply this on your face once a week. Leave it on for 20 minutes and wash off. This helps take off tan and also prevents oily skin.
- Papaya: Crush a small piece of papaya and scrub into your face & neck. Wash after 20 minutes. Do this weekly. This is excellent to remove dead cells.
- Milk: Both milk & curd are excellent cleansers. You just need a spoonful, apply all over face and wipe off after 10 minutes. If you are using curd - please use low fat curd (made from skim milk). You can do this daily.
I will talk about your makeup options tomorrow.
Calling to all oily skinned gals, any advice on skincare for our bride to be?