Skin Burns - Home Remedies

Recently my husband had a rather unfortunate accident with steaming hot water late in the night. It was close to 1 am and no doctor was available at that night. He got a rather nastsy burn (which was later identified as a second degree burn by the doctor). But he recovered very quickly (2 weeks) and there was no scarring at the burn site. I believe it was thanks to the few aromatherapy / herbal remedies that we tried, as soon as he got burnt. I thought I would share these with you, for a scarless recovery.

1. Lavender - Cold Water Compress: Lavender essential oil is well known for its ability to heal burns and deal with pain. Just add a few drops of lavender oil to about 500 ml of chilled water, and stir well to disperse the oil. Immerse the burned area in the water for several minutes, or take a soft cloth, soak it in the water, and apply it to the burn. Leave the compress on for several minutes, then resoak and reapply as often as needed.The doctor commented thanks to this compress that we did for almost 2-3 hours, it prevented blisters (almost always seen in a second degree burn) from forming at the burn site.

I had used Aroma Magic's Lavender Essential Oil for this compress.



2. Aloe Vera Gel: This is a very famous remedy for small burns. It speeds up the healing of the burn. I have a plant at home to deal with all such skin emergencies.

3. Coconut Oil: This is to be used only 48 hours after the burn, once all the heat has escaped. Coconut oil helps the burn heal without scarring, and in generation of new skin. You can add a few drops of lavender oil to this, as it is antimicrobial and will prevent infection of the burn.

What are your home remedies for dealing with burns?

Comments

  1. Tanz..Ask me for this..I know the pain of being burnt.My whole face and hands got burnt while bursting crackers in my childhood..all the alopathetic treatment worsend my situation..it was a simple home remedy which I took from a ayruvedic doctor which saved my face and hand..

    aloevera is like a life saver when u r burnt..i am glad yur husband got his skin back..

    my hands still have some burning marks as i was burnt 60%.

    a painful experience of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know your husband has recovered. I agree with Anamika that ayurvedic is a life saver. That's actually true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey i dont know to react, ask your hubby to take care...and you too dont worry too much, everythin will be fine

    ReplyDelete
  4. u really manage to brng out thgs in tyms of emergency..amazin tips...!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey great to know tat ur hubby recovered fully. my mom also had a similar accident and her face & chest got burned with steam......but thankfully she had the presence of mind to take pure honey and put it all over her face and upper chest before runnin to the bathroom to be under the shower. my dad(who is also a doc) came rushing and they got tons of ice from nearby shops & also from our neighbours to pour on her body to soothen the burning sensation. she went to a plastic surgeon the next day and he told that 'coz she had put honey immediately on to her face and chest it had prevented the burn from entering the "dermis"(the deeper layer which results in scarring). so, she just had to wait for the epidermal skin to peel off and she is completely fine now. now, she always advises both me & sis to have honey in our kitchen just incase any mishap occurs. but this is also a good remedy(ur above post) thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anamika: OMG! That sounds so painful! I am glad too that you found relief in aloe vera, and that most of the situation is past you.

    @Rakhshanda: Yea, sometimes we forget these marvelous ayvurvedic tips, simply because the information has gotten lost.

    @Retnu: hey! Thks so much for yr concern, my hubby is 100% fine now. Thanks to these tips, he recovered completely with no scarring.

    @3ate4: Thks 

    @Bhumika: Thks.. I happen to read a lot actually, and at that very instant, this story flashed in my mind. In the 17th or 18th century, this scientist got very badly burned during an experiment. Out of pain and desperation, he dunked his hand into a huge vat of lavender essential oil that was lying in his lab. To his pleasant surprise, not only did the pain lessen, but he recovered quickly and without any scars. I remembered this story instantly and decided to try out a similar remedy for my husband. I was very happy to note that it worked just as well.

    @IMW: Steam burns are the worst, they are very hot and penetrate very very deep. Glad to know that yr mom is fine now. This is a good tip, to use Honey. I didn’t know about it. Thks for sharing this with us :) .. Even with Lavender, the doctor said the same thing, despite being a second degree burn, it didn’t penetrate very deep.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thank you for taking the time out to add your valuable comment. I will revert as soon as possible.

COMMENT MODERATION POLICY FOR ADDICTED TO BLUSH BLOG

I delete blatant self-promotion and comments where it is clear the post material was not carefully read. If you are not going to bother to engage with the post, I am not going to bother posting your comment.

I also delete ALL comments with links - even if the link is to your blog.

Don't be mean to other commentators - it serves no purpose other than showcase your own personality in a bad light.

Popular Posts