Skip to main content

The Body Shop Hemp Body Butter - Review

Best if you want to: Repair dry skin using an ultra-rich, herbal-scented cream that moisturizes and conditions for up to 24 hours.

Best for: dry to extremely dry skin

How it works:
  • Hemp seed oil has an unusually high concentration of essential fatty acids to repair skin’s moisture barrier, so it is smooth and supple.
  • Community Trade shea butter and organic babassu oil (Organic Babassu oil - nature's best - is a wonderfully light and non-greasy skin moisturizer extracted from the wild-growing babassu palm trees only found in certain areas of Brazil and South America) moisturize and soften skin.
  • Community Trade cocoa butter is an excellent moisturizer that melts at body temperature, leaving skin soft and silky smooth.
Ingredents: Water (Solvent/Diluent), Hemp Seed Oil (Emollient), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Emollient), Cyclopentasiloxane (Emollient), Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Butter (Emollient), Glycerin (Humectant), Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Oil (Emollient), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifier), PEG-100 Stearate (Surfactant), Cetearyl Alcohol (Emulsifier), Lanolin Alcohol (Stabiliser/Emollient), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Fragrance (Fragrance), Methylparaben (Preservative), Propylparaben (Preservative), Xanthan Gum (Viscosity Modifier), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Talc (Absorbent/Bulking Agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Chromium Oxide Greens (Colour), Iron Oxides (Colour).

Price: Rs. 875 for a tub (I got this at 50% sale at Body Shop)

Pros:
1. Very, very hydrating & moisturising. I was very disappointed with the last body butter that I had got - Japanese Cherry Blossom - coz it smelled divine, but did nothing for my skin. Now I know that I just picked the wrong type. I need body butters like hemp which are heavier, for my skin. This is just perfect. I also noticed that this is less "runny" than my Jap CB BB. Maybe the high levels of shea & cocoa butter make it more solid.

2. I have used this on my face as well for a week at night, and it has made my skin very soft. I haven't broken out because of this. It never felt greasy to me, even on the face.

Cons:
1. The smell! Gawd.. I thought the Hemp Face protector smelt bad, untill I smelt this. I guess it is one of those acquired fragrences, which I am yet to acquire. Plus the fragrence tends to linger. So I use this only at night.

2. Since it is a little thick it takes some minutes to absorb. Another reason for me to use it at night. I cannot imagine waiting for this to absorb in the morning so that I can start getting ready. Also because it is thick, I don't think this would feel very nice on the body here in this heat & humidity.

Would I Re-Purchase: Yes, unless I find the Shea or the Coconut BB as moisturising as this - they'll have the added advantage that they smell nice too.

I honestly got this simply coz it was on 50% off sale & it felt superb on my arm when I tried it at the store. I do really like this BB a lot, except for the smell - which I now ignore coz it works so damn well, and would definately recommend it to girls with very dry skin.

Do try a sample at the store, as it smells a little funky. :-)

Comments

  1. i did check this out at TBS but didnt buy as it smelled weird.even i have used cherry blossom and u r rt it smells divine but does nothing for the skin:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tanveer, you know my peculiar problem.... my face and back is oily but my legs are dry..dries out even more in the winters :P So I too have to use rich bbs :D This one sounds real nice, thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hate products which smell bad, just cant use them

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey i smelt it in the store... i admire your courage to bear its smell..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant bear the smell of this..thankfully I dont need some much moisturization as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @IMW: I know, I almost gagged at the store when I smelt it. But the SA convinced me that my skin would love it - which has turned out to be true. Last time I made the mistake of going for the BB which smelt best - Jap CB :P

    @BeautyDiva: I too used to have an oily back in my teens - I would infact get acne there at times *ouch*.. Yea, this one is very very nice, but do take a wiff before you buy. For me it was a steal at 50%

    @Retnu: I don't think this would suit you in any case. It is meant for very dry skin :)

    @Anamika: LOL, same way I admire your courage to bear the smell of eggs in vitamin hair pack.. My hubby says this BB smells like insects!!

    As you will understand - anything for healthy skin, plus 50% off.LOL.

    Lots of homemade herbal remedies smell *Gah* but have wonderful results. I think I don't see this as a indulgence product, this is more like a product that works so well that I don't mind the smell - it is a side effect. I apply this just minutes before I sleep & in the morning I wake up to skin that is so glowy & so soft. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds highly moisturising but maybe a bit much for my skin. love the smell of the cherry blossom bb <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. hats off to you for using this product... i just could not handle the smell...

    you should try the shea 1.... it also smells nice.. :-))

    reviewofbeautyproducts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's for rxtemely dry skin. I have oily skin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have alligator skin and I use cocoa butter body butter by TBS. It's amaaaazing. It has even healed some scars, seriously. I was scared if i'll get really sensitive to the hemp smell, so I got CB BB :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hemp hand cream is one thing that has helped my hubby a lot with his extra dry hands...and yeah the smell is quite..well

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what u mean about the smell. I've always wanted to try the Hemp Hand hand protector but don't the smell >.<

    ♥xx♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Sharon: Cherry Blossom smells amazing..

    @Shopping in B: I can understand, the smell is a little, shall we say 'overwhelming'! I will get Shea next time - it seems it is just as hydrating & smells better.. lol.

    @Shoppingaholic: Your body skin is oily? Yea, then it is def not for you :)

    @Appu: Thks for the reccos. Actually cocoa butter has made me break out in the past so I tread with caution, but I will check it out :)

    @GGG: yes, the less said the better about the smell. :)

    @CZ: No one likes the smell I think. TBS shd do something about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Tanveer,

    Wow hemp body butter heh, yes must say you are brave :-) i am not really into body butters, and have just tried one or two of them - but the fragrance is a major factor while picking it up...want to pick up a nice and light mildly fragrant natural Body butter...any suggestions?
    www.purebotanicalcare.com (adding my url as i guess there are a lot of anamika's in the blogging world)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thank you for taking the time out to add your valuable comment. I will revert as soon as possible.

COMMENT MODERATION POLICY FOR ADDICTED TO BLUSH BLOG

I delete blatant self-promotion and comments where it is clear the post material was not carefully read. If you are not going to bother to engage with the post, I am not going to bother posting your comment.

I also delete ALL comments with links - even if the link is to your blog.

Don't be mean to other commentators - it serves no purpose other than showcase your own personality in a bad light.

Popular posts from this blog

Skin Care Myth: Sunscreen will stop you from Tanning

Image via Wikipedia I know I did a recent article on skin care myths (read it here), but I don't know how I forgot to mention this particular myth. In any case I think this warranted a post on its own.

Myth: If I use a suncreen regularly and religiously, I will not tan. 

Fact: This is a very simplistic statement. But before I bust this myth, kindly bear through a science lecture. This is to bring all readers of all backgrounds on the same knowledge level.



Lets define sunscreen (from Wikipedia):Sunscreen (also commonly known as sunblock or sun cream) is a lotion, spray, gel or other topical product that absorbs or reflects "some" of the sun's ultraviolet (UV) radiation on the skin exposed to sunlight and thus helps protect against sunburn. Sunscreen helps protect only against direct DNA damage as it cannot dissipate UV as harmless heat.

The SPF of a sunscreen is a laboratory measure of the effectiveness of sunscreen — the higher the SPF, the more protection a sunscreen …

Reetha, Amla & Shikakai Home Made Shampoo - Weekend Experiment

Good Morning Lovelies, I hope your weekend was fun. Mines was, well, ho-hum, but anyways, we are not talking about that here (let’s save that cribbing for twitter).
I have been suffering from quite a bit of hair fall since some time. I have tried changing products to using intensive conditioning and the works. It stops the hair fall for while, but then it rears its ugly head again.
So on lark, & for lack of better things to do, my best friend & I decided to make some Reetha – Amla – Shikakai shampoo at home. This century old ayurvedic herbal concoction is reputed to not only strengthen hair, but also darken it and stop hair fall.
I got the 3 biggies from a local kirana store. All 3 are priced at 15 Rs for 100gms.

How to: Soak 5 pieces of Shikakai, 4 balls of Reetha  (Soapnut) & handful of Amla (Indian Gooseberry)  in about 500 ml of water overnight. In the morning, heat the mixture on gas till it just starts to boil. Let it cool, when lukewarm mash all the amla, reetha and…

The Body Shop Moisture White Shiso Collection - Review

The Body Shop India is about to launch in July, its new line in skincare called MoistureWhite Collection. 

This line consists of products for women who want fairer, clear-looking skin and uniform skin tone with translucent complexion. The collection has a series of products from start to end to take care of your entire regime.

The key ingredients featured in The Body Shop Moisture White Shiso Collection are:
Shiso Extract -- reduces melanin making signals (this plant is also known as Japanese Basil)Vitamin C -- provides antioxidant protection to reduce melanin productionLicorice Extract -- helps address hyperpigmentationCommunity Trade Organic Aloe - to moisturise and hydrate skinBatyl Alcohol - which helps to reduce skins response to the melanin attack on the skin
Below are quick reviews on each of the products in this line, followed by my overall impressions of the collection. I have been using this collection for exactly 2 weeks now.

1. Moisture White Shiso Cleansing Powder (Day): R…