I have a fair skin tone and my face is a lil chubby so don't really know what would look best on me since I don't wanna look overdone. I like to keep the look natural so please tell me what would be suitable for me.
Also, I have very oily skin and also have frequent breakouts. Do you think a blood purifier really helps in clearing out the zits and making the skin healthy?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you for your query.
Since you are new to makeup, and not sure how makeup will play out on your features, you could start small. You currently use a moisturiser, lip balm & kohl pencil. Below are some simple ways to upgrade your look.
1. Add a drop or two of liquid foundation to the moisturiser and then apply. This will help even out your skin, but not look overdone as the coverage will be very light.
2. You can use a tinted lip balm instead of a clear balm to add some color to your lips. You could also opt for non-shimmery but tinted glosses. Revlon's Cherries in the Glow is a nice pink without shimmer. It is very moisturising so you won't miss the balm but it will also add some subtle shine and color. Or else you could just buy a lip pencil in a light neutral color close to your original color. Dab a bit on the lips and then top off with lip balm/clear gloss.
3. You are currently using a kohl to do your waterline. You could add waterproof mascara in brown or black (use only on top lashes) to emphasise your eyes and make you look more awake without looking too made up. Or else you could also line your upper lashes as well with a nice shimmery brown or black. Opt for long lasting, smudge proof pencils.
I personally think that you can stop right here. This look will be natural and fresh. Since you are young, your skin will have a natural, rosy glow by itself. Just take good care by using the right cleanser and moisturiser, exfoliate regularly. Eat healthy food and try and fit in some physical activity like dancing or a game everyday.
4. If you need eyeshadow, try getting a cream eyeshadow that is long lasting and water proof. Get it in a neutral grey, taupe or deep brown shade, and apply only all over the lid. Once set, these eyeshadows don't budge. You could try Inglot, MAC or MUFE for these products.
5. For blush: Since you have oily skin, you can opt for a simple peach pink powder blush. Use a nice fluffy brush to apply and remember to buff well to avoid sharp lines and to keep it looking natural. You can even use a nice watermelon red or pink lipstick to double up as cream blush. Just apply a dab on your fingers and blend it in well on your cheeks so that it looks natural and like the glow is from within. Alternatively you could just exercise daily and eat healthy for a natural rosy, healthy glow.
6. While some might suggest contouring techniques of makeup to make your face appear less chubby, and more well defined, these are special techniques that require lots of time and practice. You could learn them from a makeup artist to help you define your face / cheek bones, but do understand that contouring is technique that can look extremly madeup/fake in real life if not done properly. Invest time & practice before stepping out of the house with such a look.
As for blood purifiers like Safi, I can't say. Both my parents swear by it (they both had acne as teens) and say it really helped them clear their acne. It did nothing for me, not that I was very regular with it. I hated the taste.
I don't know how these work, they claim to purify the blood. But as a microbiologist I don't understand how toxins in your blood could block the pores on the surface of your skin. Doesn't make sense to me. From what I understand, acne is end result when pores get blocked by dead cells, excess sebum that hardens and bacteria that get trapped in this pore. For any acne medication, please refer to a dermatologist to ascertain real cause and proper medication. These blood purifiers per se don't seem harmful, so you could try them out. Do go through the ingredient list to ensure you are not allergic to any additives.
I hope this helps you!
Any more makeup tips for Joanna?