How to wear colored eyeliners
Image via WikipediaColored Eyeliners are the rage these days with every company offering a myriad of hues. Not everyone is comfortable using them. Some prefer to stick to the regular black/brown/grey and the occasional navy. While there are others like me who just love colored eyeliners to bits, I have colors ranging from lavender to moss green to silver to purple to baby pink.
Colored eyeliner can bring out your eyes far better than black or brown eyeliners which, when heavily applied, make your eyes look smaller than they really are. However colored eyeliners can make your upper lash line look thinner (making lashes look sparse) as well as the eye less defined. Especially when you use colors that are lighter, or not in the category of grey/navy blue.
Here are a few tricks I use to successful incorporate colored eyeliners into my daily look
1. It is important to make sure that your eyeliner does not clash with the outfit. Choose an eyeliner that compliments the colors in your outfit, it need not be the exact same shade, but if I were wearing a light green top, it is better to wear dark green or raisin colored eyeliner than pink
2. If you are using an eye shadow, use only neutral, nude colors like light brown, taupe. Do not use an eye shadow the same color as the eyeliner!
3. Colored eyeliners in pencil look far better than those in liquid. At least those colors that you plan to wear in matt, non-sparkly shades look better in pencil.
4. A trick that I use to overcome the problem of sparse eyelashes and ill-defined eyes look is to first use a liquid eyeliner in black (water proof, smudge proof) to make a very thin line very close to my upper lashes. I let it dry completely for 2-3 minutes (or else you'll end up smudging it in the next step) and then using my colored eyeliner pencil I make a thick line directly above the black line, leaving no gap between the two. This gives my eyes a well defined look because of the black eyeliner. I call this technique grounding.
5. For the lower eye line I use colors that are either very intense and dark like black, navy, mehndi green, dark purple or very light like nude (Chambor makes a good nude/skin tone with sparkle – great for lining the lower lash to make the eyes appear fresher. I avoid white, as it looks very fake to me)
Products to try: Like I mentioned a number of companies make colored eyeliners today. Mentioned below are some brands for you to start with:
1. Chambor: Rs. 300/- . Has very nice nude eyeliner with sparkle that I love using on my lower lash line.
2. Lakme Glide On Eye Pencil(read review here): Rs. 250/-. Has a very nice purple, golden green and bronze
3. Jordana (Read review here): Excellent for those scared of trying very outta the way colors but still wanna experiment then Jordana has nice matt shades like smokey blacks, black browns, dark greens, dark purples for about 100 bucks.
4. Colorbar (read review here): Rs. 225/- . Has a very pretty jewel green (called moss green) and truffle brown