Image via Wikipedia
Eas, a blog reader, had requested me for some tips on skin care and make-up for acne prone skin. These are from my experience/common sense, and please keep in mind that I am not a dermatologist.
Prevention: is better than cure, as they say so I suggest you
- Exfoliate to remove dead cells: will prevent pores from getting blocked
- Himalaya Gentle Exfoliating Daily Face Wash: for daily mechanical exfoliation (read review here)
- Garnier Light Toner: Chemical AHA exfoliant
- Biotique Papaya Scrub: weekly exfoliation (read review here)
- Aroma Magic Papaya Lotion
- Face wash: choose a face wash that removes oil & bacteria without drying out the skin
- Himalaya Neem face wash (havn’t tried it, but have heard great reviews)
- Himalaya Gentle soap free clenser for oily skin (have tried this, read review here)
- The Body shop tea tree face wash gel
- Oil Blotters: During the day, keep sheets handy to absorb excess oil and wipe away dirt from the face. This will go a long way in keeping the face zit free
- Kara Gentle Cleansing Wipes(be careful with these. The lotion in the wet wipe can cause more pimples sometimes, if this happens with you, change over to a dry wipe. Read review here)
- Oil Blotting sheets
- Anti-Dandruff Shampoos: Some people get acne because of dandruff. I recommend Biotique’s Anti Dandruff Shampoo. It cleans without drying.
- Moisturizers: Use an oil – free moisturizer.
- Neutrogena has an oil-free moisturizer.
- Biotique Chrophyll Gel is an excellent moisturizer for oily skin. It also has aloe vera that helps treat acne. Read the review here
How to deal with the pesky pimple
Ok, if despite all of the above, you have got a pimple, try the following to get rid of it:
- Garnier pimple pen is quite effective, at times. Read my review on it here.
- Lacto Calamine lotion is a very good drying agent. Dab generously on top of pimple at night. Works a little slowly though
- Aroma Magic make a nice pimple & acne essential oil mix. This works slowly, but over time (2-3 weeks) you can see good results
- My best treatment is a tinie-tiny dab of tretinion cream. You need a derm’s prescription for this.
If the pimple has gone and left behind a mark, try the following products:
- Any blemish reducing cream like No Marks/Eraser
- Vitamin C serum (you can make this at home, the recipe is here)
- Vitamin A/Retiniod cream (this too needs a derm’s prescription)
Diet: sometimes acne is a symptom due to lack of Vitamin A in the body. It could also be caused due to toxin accumulation or heat. Talk to a nutritionist to deal with these causes.
Make-up will be covered in the next post.
What products do you rely on? Do share your tips with me!